Budget Travel Tips:
- Buy Opal card to pay for local transport. This will save you a lot of time (avoid lines) and money. It is available in convenience stores for a minimum $10 top up, all consumables. No need to refund, just plan well how much to top up.
- From Sydney airport to the City – Take Bus 400 going to Bondi Junction and alight at the first stopover Mascot Station in 8- 10 mins (cost: $2.6). The bus stop Mascot is on Bourke Road, walk on your left to the intersection, turn right to Coward street and you’ll see Mascot train station. Take the train to your destination i.e. Central Station ($4.1). This will save you 10-15$.
- From City to Sydney Airport – take the train to Mascot station. Go up / Exit to Coward Street, walk on your left to Bourke Road. Turn left and on your right is the bus stop for 400 to Burwood going to Terminal 1 and 3 Airports. This will save you 10-15$.
- Avail of the free guided walking tour. Just go to George Street behind St. Andrews Cathedral and Town Hall. It’s free and full of info / tips not available in the internet. They will take you around Sydney, good for 1 day!
- Download an offline map. There is no public wifi on most areas. Ever reliable is maps.me offline map.
- Book hostel near the opera house for $20-25 a night via booking.com. Only choose pay on arrival. When in the airport, browse booking.com in any case there are cheaper rooms. Some hotels/hostels lower their price a night before or during the day to avoid vacant rooms.
- Every Saturday at 8pm, there is a fireworks display in the opera house.
- Use skyscanner.com to look for cheap flights but don’t book via skyscanner, go to the airline’s main website.
- There are free water stations installed on the streets (i.e along the Macquarie road to the Opera house).
- Australians are very friendly. Ask directions.
- Always check the weather forecast to avoid booking on rainy days.